Sunday, October 17, 2010

"Holy sh*t, you're a dude"

So, what's new? Any men in your life?

I have always been puzzled by this, why is it that the first question people make when they haven't seen you in a while is are you in a relationship? There are far more interesting and important things in life than having a relationship, yet humans seem obsessed to define a life as successful only if and when you're in a relationship and lack of one immediately means you lead a sad and disappointing life.

Now, I'm not saying I'm against relationships, I think it's wonderful how people relate and fall in love, I'm a big fan of it, I love seeing people who truly love each other, the way they interact, their little secrets, hidden and unknown to the rest, their codes, it's absolutely beautiful and as a matter of fact I admire it, it's an amazing ability that not everyone is equipped to handle. Yet I take an issue with having to explain myself every time I say I'm very happy being single and unattached, I'm attacked and called a liar because I must obviously want a relationship, I must obviously need a man to be happy and to rescue me from whatever the hell I need to be rescued from. I'm actually happy with it.

It has come to my attention that even in TV and movies those characters get attacked, take Summer from 500 days of Summer, she gets judge and hated not because of her actual mistake (knowing she didn't want a relationship while reeling him into one) but the problem most people had with her seems to be that she likes being on her own, that she wants to be independent and single and that she's happy with it.

People, happiness does not depend on having a relationship or not. Let's be happy because we deserve it, because we're amazing, because we're successful, let's be happy for the little things.



You've got opinions, man
We're all entitled to 'em
But I never asked
Sara Bareilles
King of Anything

No comments:

Post a Comment